My Day 9 :
Today marks our first day without a tour guide.
We left our fancy (and when I say fancy, I mean in grandiose appearance and price… because we had no air conditioning most the time, trouble with the toilet, and at one point, no phone) hotel today and headed for our “hostel,” Casa Oralia. It’s technically called a casa particolare, which makes more sense, because it is really just a house with extra rooms, in this case, two. It has a big balcony that faces the street, our own bathroom, our own large fridge, and she said we could use the kitchen sometimes. I think she makes breakfast too. We’ll see tomorrow… hopefully it doesn’t mean we have to wake up early all the time.
Personally, I prefer a big hostel, for the opportunity to meet people. But it’s a comfortable place to call home for the next few weeks.
Tomorrow we’re going to go to the
The week after classes end, we’re going to travel somewhere else in
So, anyway, today we went to a market and saw people selling fruit for the first time since we’ve been here. We were very excited, to say the least. I ended up spending 124 MNs. Oh, so we were able to use the Cuban pesos, which are called MNs, for moneda nationale. It’s so much cheaper!!!!!! That ends up being a little less than 5 CUCs, which is about $5... Well the exchange rate is actually $1 = .89 CUC. And here’s what I bought: 1lb rice, way too much salt, some oregano, 6 limes, a package of spaghetti, a huge mango, a couple huge avocados, an onion, radishes, mint, a juice box of rum! (
And the reason we have been paying so much? Probably because we are Americans. Today while we were waiting for one of the shops to open, a Cuban came and asked us where we were from. We said the
Hello teachers!
ReplyDeleteThis is V, your former OTF buddy. Guess what? I'm currently teaching summer school to high school boys. I was going to travel Asia, but decided to delay my trip and make money instead. So naturally, reading about your adventures make me drool for adventures. Keep on writing and taking notes about the Cuban people and their education system. It's fascinating. Hope to see you when you get back!
So you are taking Spanish for a week? I mean we teach kids all year and they learn nothing, what is a week going to do?
ReplyDeleteLove the enthusiasm about the fresh produce!