Friday, June 26, 2009

Day ? (I’ve lost track of the days!)

6/24
For the next two nights, we are staying in the Arenas Blancas in Varadero, a resort city outside of the larger city of Matanzas. The pools are beautiful and huge. We can have as many drinks and snacks as we want, every meal is included, there are Spanish, dance, and bartending lessons, sports activities, their own club, and, surprisingly, other American (granted they are loud and rambunctious).

The schedules have been jam-packed with information and it feels like our brains are being overloaded. Today, we went to an art school for 3rd through 9th graders. We saw the students performing, and we were all very impressed. The 6th graders who were in their second year of classical ballet training looked like pros already. Classes start for them at 7:10am and end at 5:30pm. In normal schools, classes end at 4:30pm. Some students at this art school live on campus because their houses are too far away. Unlike at Claremont Middle School, the students only have math, social studies, and language arts every day. The other classes occur with less frequency (e.g. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays). This ensures that all students have access to a holistic education. Further, students are graded beyond just academics. The final mark includes character traits, such as punctuality, attendance, work ethics, etc. In the U.S., students may receive a citizenship grade but it has no effect on GPA and in fact in Oakland Unified as long as you pass the CST (California Standardized Test) you can move on to the next grade/class. Note that passing this test in math is equivalent to getting 60% of the questions right. In comparison, the standardized tests here are included as part of the final mark in addition to the other factors mentioned above.

There have been interesting conversations regarding censorship. A lot of our group members ask questions such as “How do you teach critical thinking when the government discourages dissent?” “Is there another reason for why there is no internet access amongst the populace?” “What do you think of the limited TV/media availability?” which are always answered as if there is no realization that America thinks of the Cuban government as a repressive dictatorship. My question is this: what is the purpose of asking a question? Is it curiosity? To learn from the culture? To share our American opinions?

In the evening, we went to see a music show at the Teatro Mello in Habana. It was AWESOME! It reminds me that in the Bay Area, I really should go see more live shows. I was absolutely amazed at the talent on-stage. The keyboardist and frontman for the group was incredibly talented and his stage presence seemed to carry forth a full-body immersion of the music into his every fiber. The drummers – traditional and African drums – were continually smiling at each other as if there were invisible messages flowing back and forth on the stage in a language only familiar to them but whose sound effects could be heard by the audience. It left me feeling so energized and elated.

5 comments:

  1. Keep writing! It's fascinating to read, and the one thing I wish I did when I was abroad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First let me thank you for doing this as a blog and allaying my fears that two schoolteachers had thrown caution to the wind by setting off on a journalistic assignment to Cuba. :P

    Well, it’s a real privilege to read firsthand about your experiences there. I totally agree that we need more communal spirit back in the States. City dwellers can be so judgmental that we overdo facades and remain cold and aloof even to our neighbors. As we’ve gotten more urban and materialistic, so has this attitude been an increasing liability. I also agree that we have lots to learn from Cuba on education and health care. Our like systems are in shambles considering the resources we possess. As changes are imminent from our new administration, your input couldn’t come at a better time.

    Reading up on Cuba, I found their history checkered and fascinating. They were once on par with the economies of the industrialized nations, the crown jewel of Latin America. That explains how some of their metrics (78-year life expectancy!) resemble those of a developed nation. I’m glad they’ve held onto their educational and healthcare strengths despite being under some grievous U.S.-led embargoes. One just has to suspect the U.S. of having ulterior motives than people’s welfare when it enacts economic torture on such a close and vulnerable former territory.

    As for Guantanamo Bay, the U.S. has a perpetual lease on that land from Cuba, but since 1960 Fidel has refused rent payment as a sign of protest. The arrangement is a vestige of the Spanish-American War circa 1900. Again, it leaves one to wonder how much of a threat Cuba is to justify such disproportionate sanctions, with a foreign naval base in her back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The response to the questions about government censorship makes me wonder is it even true that the government discourages dissent, the internet is deliberatly limited, and media is limited.

    Maybe all that us just US propoganda?
    It woud explain those questions being confusing.

    Then again, maybe growing up there, the people just take conditions for granted and don't see it as oppressive even though there is censorship?

    The last thing I would want to do would be to spread American ideals in the one place communism has proved successful, but I really would be curios to know the answers to those questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I was confused by that answer. What exactly do the Cuban representatives say when asked?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings from Oakland. Susan and I just went to a luau at Doubley's church at 14th and Market. We saw Julian and some former CMS students. This is my first blog and I'm writing from her computer. I tried last week but not sure what I did that prevented me from writing. Nonetheless....

    The CDR, from what I remember, would also haul some "suspicious" behavior by people on the block/building they would be brought before the committee. We saw one such proceeding. It is very democratic and makes for quick "justice" and more community accountability. Yup, ya hafta know your neighbors by name....

    I love your account of the school day. Do the students wear uniforms? Are some students named "Pioneros? sp....are there ways to recognize special achievents? What level do parents participate? Do the students rest from 12 to noon? What is the academic year like?

    The beaches are great. Do you have lectures, presentations, tours every night? Have you seen any of their jazz greats? visited the music conservatory in Havana? are you going to Oriente? What's planned for July 26th? Do you have any pins?

    Kudos to you both! Thanks, too, for my first "blog" ish experience. Its not so bad.

    ReplyDelete