Sunday, June 21, 2009

Day 0.5

I'm not sure how easy it will be to find internet access in Cuba, so I'm starting this blog off with an entry from the airport in Nassau, Bahamas, where the weather is a slighlty humid 88 degrees F, everyone speaks English, there are more resort booths than concession stores, and the passengers on the plane look ready to strip for the beaches. The line for the Cubano airport hasn't opened yet. There is luggage strewn across the line, their trusting owners not be found. I feel like a distrustful American keeping all my belongings close by.

It still has not quite sunk in that I will be in Cuba in just a few hours, a country despised by American policy yet supposedly essential to fight our war on terror through housing and interrogating our supposedly most dangerous prisoners (hopefully not for long!). It is also a country which spends very little per pupil and whose students greatly outperform those of other Latin American countries and those of the United States. So what's up with that? Well, I'm putting on my detective hat, er, sombrero, Miquila will be joining me tomorrow, and we shall see what we find....

- Aileen

7 comments:

  1. Wow Aileen and Miquila - what an adventure! Enjoy every minute. I've never met Miquila, but if you're like Aileen, you'll both be great emissaries for "US". I just watched the movie"Che" and have been reading about the support Fidel has been for Hugo Chavez in Venezuela. It seems as though Fidel Castro was really trying to help the Cuban people and protect them from North American imperialism. I've read that the Cuban people are 98% literate. Can you find out if this is true? I'm so happy for the wonderful adventure ahead of you. I'm looking forward to sharing some of your observations. Te mando un abrazo muy fuerte, (I send you big hug) How's your spanish? Love, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan! Como que you've never met me? ALEJANDRE! Geez...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aileen & Miquila,
    Sounds very exciting! What a great adventure! Very curious to hear about it all, and especially what you learn about the Cuban education system.
    Mary Lou

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Miquila - I'm so embarrased. Que cosa!!! I guess my brian retired along with my teacher-self. You guys are going to have the best time. You're both wonderful, smart, curious, and very perceptive. You're going to learn so much. I'm so excited for you both. Abrazos y carinos, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. good luck finding time to blog! :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. you two know that the mojito originated in cuba. also, the literacy rate of cubans have been in the 90's for years. aileen, in your blog, you stated two important facts, one, all teachers are given full support and two, teachers are respected as professionals. the later is what needs to be accomplished in our society. you two have loads of fun and adventure! oh by the way, this is rhonda,i'm using pam's computer, i couldn't respond on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi rascals,

    By now you have enjoyed Cuban cigars and other wonderful Cuban culture. Find out the secret to their success educationally, bring back wonderful memories to share so I can live vicariously through your escapades and seize each moment you dynamos! Salude (sp) Babette xoxo

    ReplyDelete